NAVmoble - the pocket-sized ERP
Optimized for Microsoft Dynamics NAV and Windows Mobile powered devices

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Rubby On Rails: WEBrick may fail to start if ActiveSync Connection Manager is running

I decided to spent some time playing with Ruby On Rails on my Windows XP box. I've downloaded the InstantRails and found some good starting points to create my first app. I found this great webcast from Matt Griffith. Everything worked fine until I had to start WEBrck and got an error message saying:


...
WARN TCPServer Error: Bad file descriptor - bind(2)
D:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/utils.rb:73:in `initialize': Bad file descriptor -
bind(2) (Errno::EBADF)
...


Google said this error message may appear if WEBrick can't open port 3000.
Netstat showed that port 3000 is opened by process called "wcescomm.exe" and that is the process name of the Microsoft Active Sync Connection Manager.
I've just synced my PocketPC few minutes ago and the device was still in its cradle. I removed it from the cradle and tried again to start WEBrick ... I was so pleased to get it running.



Links:
InstantRails: one-stop Rails runtime solution containing Ruby, Rails, Apache, and MySQL
Getting started with InstantRails by Matt Griffith
Programming Ruby book
RadRails Ruby on Rails editor

No comments: